Friday, September 25, 2009

West Central Fall Bass League - Diamond Lake

September 19th was our 2nd fall league of the year. Diamond can be a great big fish lake and it can also be one of the toughest lakes around. On that day it showed its bad side with only 3 of the 8 teams fishing able to come in with a 5 fish limit. 1st place went to Ron & Joe yet again with 13.90 lbs. 2nd place was my dad & I with 11.03 lbs. The big fish for the day was a beauty weighing in at 5.26 lbs.

Like I said the fishing was extremely tough on Diamond. We did better than most though and were able to catch 7 small keepers and 2 shorts in our five hours of fishing. All of our fish with the exception of one, which I caught under a tree, came by flipping various soft plastics into the reeds. There weren't any secret spots or magic lures. We just moved around a lot and stayed persistant and were able to catch a fish here and there. I guess the one mistake we made was not going back through the area where I caught the tree fish. I believe the winners were fishing that pattern but I didn't make the right call and we stuck to the reeds for most of the day.

Tomorrow is our next fall league on Lake Ripley. The word is the fishing is extremely tough out there but we have had rain today so maybe that will change the bite. After fishing 4 events so far in September I'm very pleased with the results. There's been 2 3rd place finishes and then 2 2nd place finishes. Lake Ripley is the last event in September so hopefully we can move up and cap off the month with a win.

No comments: