Sunday, July 5, 2009

West Central Bass League - Lake Calhoun

This past Wednesday 18 teams returned to Lake Calhoun. We had fished the lake a few weeks ago on Thursday night and the fishing was very good with 4 bags over 10 lbs weighed in. This week the fishing was quite a bit tougher as only one bag over 10 lbs was caught. Fortunately that bag was caught by my dad and I. We weighed in 10.74 lbs to take 1st place for the night. 2nd place went to Dean & JD with 9.61 lbs, 3rd was Jim & Dwight with 9.15 lbs, and 4th was Paul & Pete with 8.41 lbs. I caught the big bass of the night and it went 3.85 lbs.

The area where the winning bag was caught last time is an area we frequently share with the guys who won. On this night we had a better start number than them so I went straight to the sweet spot. Unfortunately it wasn't very sweet this night and we ended up leaving pretty quickly with just one small keeper in the box. Next we hit a few docks and I put one in the boat a little over 2 lbs. A few docks down my dad caught his big fish of the night that went about 3 1/4 lbs. The dock fish came on Strike King Bleeding Bait Tubes. We fished more docks and several other weedy areas but were just not able to catch much else at all let alone upgrade fish. Towards the end of the evening we moved back to our starting area but there was still nothing happening so I started moving the boat out from the bank. The lake is basically just a flat bottom with weeds covering pretty much the entire lake so I was just kind of moving around randomly looking for an area the fish were holding. With about 10 minutes to go we found it. There wasn't really any particular reason for the fish to be right in one spot like that but they were stacked up. In the last 10 minutes I think we caught 5 good keepers with 4 of them being 3 lbs or better. My dad's fish came on a watermelon Picasso jig and mine were all on a watermelon Strike King Bleeding Bait Flippin Tube. With about 3 minutes before 9 pm my dad said we need to go in but I made one last cast. I actually picked up the trolling motor and when I had that stowed I picked up on my rod and caught one last fish on the last cast. That one ended up being the 3.85 that was the big fish for the night. I just wish we stumbled onto them a little bit earlier because I think we really could have got a bunch of fish. As it was we caught what we needed and had a very exciting end to the night.

No comments: