Sunday, August 30, 2009

West Central Bass Leage - Nest Lake

Wednesday August 26th marked the final night of the West Central Bass League for the 2009 season. Only the top 10 in the points at the end of the year were invited to fish this final night. Each team then threw a lake name into a hat and Nest Lake was drawn. We ended up with only 9 teams fishing because of last minute circumstances that forced one team to drop out for the night. 1st place for the night went to Ron & Joe with 13.15 lbs which is the heaviest weight I can remember coming from Nest Lake. 2nd went to my dad & I with 11.75 lbs and 3rd went to Jeff & Kris with 10.45 lbs. The big bass for the night weighed 5.11 lbs and the 2nd big bass was caught by myself. It was a beautiful 4.48 lb smallmouth.

That big smallmouth was my first fish of the night and I caught it after fishing for less than 10 minutes. We fished a rocky area with green pumpkin tubes and watermelon worms rigged on a dropshot. After about 45 minutes we had 3 fish in the livewell so we headed to a few more areas around the lake. We tried several weedline areas for largemouths and several other rocky areas for smallies but the action was pretty slow with only a few fish that wouldn't help us. Eventually we went back to the starting area and it again was pretty slow but my dad was able to catch one about 3 1/2 lbs on a tube that upgraded our limit a little bit. Once again the action slowed so we bounced around the lake running and gunning looking for one more really big bite but we never caught another fish. I knew we had close to 12 lbs in the livewell so I was still feeling pretty confident since that would be the winning weight on Nest any other night except on this night.

No comments: