Tuesday, June 5, 2012

West Central Bass League - Week 1 & Big Bass Bonanza - Sauk Lake

It is my favorite time of the year since it is finally tournament season here in Minnesota. The year has certainly not started off anything like I was hoping for though. For some reason everything has been a struggle so far. I'm just in a little funk for some reason and I can't quite place my finger on what's going wrong. The tournaments don't stop though so I'll just have to fish my way out of it.

West Central Bass League - Solomon Lake - May 30th


The first Wednesday night of league this year greeted us with cool, cloudy conditions that turned downright cold and rainy by the end of the night but despite the conditions 23 teams were ready to open the season. On a shallow lake like Solomon I was happy to see the clouds but apparently the cold put the fish in a funk. Despite having a monster bag even the winning team reported catching only 3 keepers for the night. Here are the results.

1st - Donovan & Mike - 3 - 12.75 lbs
2nd - Ron & Joe - 3 - 12.08 lbs
3rd - Ron & Dave - 3 - 10.23 lbs
4th - Grant & Tim - 3 - 8.92 lbs
5th - Paul & Pete - 3 - 8.90 lbs

Big Bass - Ron & Joe - 5.09 lbs

My dad and I ended up with 3 fish for 8.08 lbs to take 7th out of the 23 teams competing. Our night was nearly a disaster though. With only 20 minutes left to fish we only had 1 small bass in the boat. We were able to rally and catch 3 keepers in those last 20 minutes to salvage a terrible night. If it wasn't for that flurry we would have been in way down in the point standings. 2 of our weigh fish came on Senkos fished in the reeds and our big fish, which was nearly 4 lbs, first hit a Strike King S.G. toad before my dad followed up with a Sweet Beaver to get her.

West Central Bass League - Diamond Lake - May 31st


Thursday greeted the 20 teams competing with beautiful conditions and everyone reported catching a lot of fish. The problem was that most of them were pretty small. For this lake I would say the weights were down quite a bit from last year but as always a few people figure out the better ones.

1st - Ron & Joe - 3 - 10.63 lbs
2nd - Dean & JD - 3 - 10.44 lbs
3rd - Tim & Gran - 3 - 8.32 lbs
4th - Brian & Kraig - 3 - 8.08 lbs
5th - Andy & Mike Nitchals - 3 - 8.00 lbs

Big Bass - Butch & Jeff - 4.05 lbs

On this night my dad and I had the opposite problem of the previous night. We had our weight in the first 45 minutes and despite catching a number of small fish we were never able to upgrade the rest of the night. At least we were able to sneak into the final money spot. Our fish came on a green pumpkin Berkley HAVOC Pit Boss fished around docks and trees, although our biggest fish came by swimming the Pit Boss on a sandy bank in between docks.

Big Bass Bonanza - Sauk Lake - June 3rd


I generally like to provide a fair amount of detail in my blog posts but for this event that will not be possible. My bass club is holding a state qualifier tournament on Sauk this coming Sunday and since many of the club members read this blog I can't give them any info that might help them beat me. Not that I have any real secrets to share in the first place! This one was tough. With an 8 fish limit in the BBB we only ended up getting 8 bites all day, but only put 6 of them in the boat. Those 6 were pretty decent quality though and ended up weigh 17.26 lbs to take 13th place out of 26 teams. We were the highest finishing team without a limit so as you can see more than half the field weren't able to get a limit. It was tough out there but of course someone always catches them and the weights at the top, especially the winners, were very impressive. 1st place had over 31 lbs and the big bass at 5.5 lbs.

No comments: