Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mille Lacs

I've never been on Mille Lacs before and since we have a tournament there later in the year I wanted to check it out. My first impression was, it is big! It probably wasn't the best time of year since the tournament is in September and this spring has been so late. The weeds and reeds weren't really growing yet so it will look a lot different later in the year. Since there are regulations on the smallmouth my focus was on finding largemouths. Everyone knows it is a great walleye lake and many people know about the fantastic smallmouth fishing but no ones ever heard of fishing for largemouths. I managed to find a few largemouth and also a couple smallies. None of them were very big though. They were all in the 2 lb range. The smallies were bigger at about 2 3/4 lbs each, but they won't count. The funnest part was seeing all of the muskies. I had 2 hit my spinnerbait but they didn't get hooked up. I saw 2 others cruising and I also saw 4 pairs that I guess were spawning. They were swimming side by side. So in all I saw 12 muskies. Thats more than I've ever seen in a day before.

Today I was going to go out again but the weather turned pretty nasty so we headed back to Willmar. We thought about stopping at Nest Lake on the way back but decided to just head home. When we got back the TV and internet were both down so with nothing else to do, we headed back out to Nest Lake. The weather was tough. Cold, wind, and rain are not my idea of a good time but we caught a few fish. Our club tournament will be there on Saturday so I will let you know how it went afterwards.

No comments: