Thursday, May 22, 2008

Nest Lake

Nest might be my favorite lake in Kandiyohi county. There are so many good ones though it's hard to say, but it's way up there in any case. Nest has excellent populations of both largemouth and smallmouth bass but thats not the reason I like it so much. After fishing it for many years now we have found about half a dozen spots that at any given time we can pull up on and catch a tournament winning limit in as little as 15 minutes. No matter the conditions at least 1 of the 6 spots usually has a pile of fish on it. Sometimes they all have a bunch of fish on them. Thats when you can have a really fun day.

Today we really didn't fish at all. The water temp was in the low 60s so we got up on the banks and started cruising looking for beds. Big smallmouths were up all over the place. A lot of the fish were in the 3 lb range but I saw one that I would guess was pushing 5 lbs. After checking out the shallows we headed out to deeper water with the underwater camera to try to find something new. That was pretty unproductive. We didn't really see anything worth fishing. I feel like we might know all the sweetest spots but theres got to be some more areas they bunch up on. We just haven't found them yet. Finding deep structure like that can be very time consuming and frustrating when you don't get on anything. But on the other hand if you do find something good there can be a lot of fish in a small area.

Tomorrow is the last day before the bass opener. I probably won't go fishing at all. I'm going to spend my afternoon rigging up all 16 rod and reel combos I keep in the boat so I'm ready to go first thing Saturday morning.

No comments: