Friday, July 4, 2008

KLBL - Long Lake

Last nights league was not the normal Thursday night standings league. Since it is the 4th of July weekend we figured many people had plans. However a few teams still wanted to fish so we had league anyway. This was just a stand alone event. Only 6 boats showed up which was about what we expected. Of the 6 boats 4 of them weighed in over 10 lbs for their 3 fish. The winning weight was over 13 lbs. My dad and I ended up in 4th with 10.24 lbs. The big fish for the night was 5.08 lbs.

I've talked about Long Lake before and the primary pattern which is fishing the reeds. We started off doing that but after flipping reeds for over an hour we only had 1 small fish. We knew we needed to do something different so we went to a long, shallow, rocky point. Even though there are rocks down there everything was covered with weeds. Pretty much the only viable lure option was a frog. I started throwing a Spro Bronze Eye frog and almost immediately had one blow up on me. Then just a little bit later a bass close to 4 lbs sucked it in and we put it in the boat. We made another pass and I caught a small one on the frog and my dad picked up a 3 pounder on a Lake Fork Magic Shad. We left the area to let it rest a little before hitting it again right as time was winding down. On the very last cast my dad caught another 3 pounder on the frog and it was time to go in. This was the first league night in a very long time that we weighed 2 fish in that came on the frog.

No comments: