Tuesday, July 1, 2008

West Central Bassmasters State Qualifier - Green Lake

I haven't gotten around to writing about this one for a few days. The tournament was held Saturday June 28th on Green Lake. It was the final state qualifier for our club. I ended up finishing in 4th place on the day with 14.20 lbs for my 5 fish. That put me in 2nd place for the year, so I qualified for the state tournament in September. I really wanted to be 1st place since that is the guaranteed boater spot but 2nd is still not too bad. My dad also qualified for the state tournament in 5th place. The winning weight on the day was 14.88 lbs with 2nd being 14.76 lbs. The conditions were really bad with high winds and several periods of rain but those weights are still pretty low. Especially considering we are all locals with extensive time on the lake. I guess it's just fishing tough right now.

The day before the tournament we went out and marked as many good bed fish as we good find. Most were small but there were still a few good ones around. Unfortunately with the weather we couldn't really fish for all of them since the waves were just too big in some spots. A few other ones had left the bed since we found them but there were still a few that we ended up catching in the tournament. I caught 3 off beds that were all between 2 3/4 lbs and 3 lbs. They all came on a white Strike King KVD tube. I usually like using green pumpkin but they sure seemed to like the white a lot better that day. My other fish came on a spinnerbait and just casting a tube to a shallow rocky area. My dad had a few bed fish as well and he also caught one in 25 feet of water on a dropshot. That was the only keeper out deep in our boat.

I'm not going to do a full practice report like I have for the other Big Bass Bonanza tournaments since the practices for each event kind of ran into each other. I think we have spent 7 of the last 9 days out on Green. If anything Monday and Tuesday have been even worse than Saturday. I just can't seem to figure much out. Our deep bite seems almost totally dead and the shallow fish are getting done and moving out but they aren't there yet. Finding fish in the mid depth zone has been a chore too. There have been a few encouraging signs that our usually summer pattern is starting to happen but its been spotty. Even though I haven't caught a lot of fish I've seen enough fish following to win the tournament I think. Now we just have to figure out a way to turn those followers into biters and we should be ok. For the tournament we will probably fish shallow, deep, and in between, and just let whatever is working best that day dictate what we do. We have enough spots of each type that we should be able to move around a bit unless the winds are just too much. I just hope it stays hot and it gets that summer pattern going by Sunday. I'll report back after the tournament.

No comments: