Thursday, June 26, 2008

Kandi Lakes Bass League - Lake Andrew

We had another good turnout for Wednesday night league with 16 boats showing up to fish Lake Andrew. With 16 boats 4 places are paid. 1st place had 8.33 lbs, 2nd place had 6.98 lbs, 3rd place had 6.45 lbs, and my dad and I were 4th with 6.44 lbs. One hundredth of a pound difference. I guess thats just how it goes sometimes. Since one of the boats ahead of us did not enter the side pot we also took 3rd place in that for a little additional money. The big bass for the night was 3.12 lbs. That team also had another bass over 3 lbs, which were the only 3 pounders caught on the night. That was obviously the winning bag.

While the weights were typical for Lake Andrew the past few years I felt the fishing was anything but typical. There usually aren't any big bags weighed in on the lake but at least there are a lot of fish to be caught. That was not the case last night. In fact my dad and I didn't have a keeper in the boat until 8:10 pm. We went over 2 hours without catching a thing and with a 9 pm check in time there was very little time left to make something happen. We mostly fished deep because there are a lot of good weed line spots out there but we hit a bunch of them and came up empty on all of them. We even tried fishing shallow weeds and docks too with no success. The first keeper did end up coming from an inside corner of a deep weed line but there were no more fish so we ran up to the inlet and threw weightless Lake Fork Ring Fries and quickly put a limit in the boat. The fish had started to turn on a little bit I think. Our limit didn't weigh much though and after catching a few up in the bay the fish kept getting smaller and smaller. With about 5 minutes to go I said lets run to the spot where we caught our first keeper. We didn't have much time but as soon as we got there I caught one. Then my dad caught one. We ended up catching 6 or 7 fish in that last 5 minutes and culled out all of our other fish. For whatever reason those fish just turned on right at the last minute. I'm sure glad we made that move because otherwise we wouldn't have been in the money at all. I just wished I gave ourselves 10 minutes instead of just 5. I think we could have made a run at 2nd place anyway. All those fish came on a watermelon Picasso jig tipped with a Lake Fork Pig Claw.

No comments: