Friday, June 20, 2008

KLBL - Nest Lake

I haven't been on Nest Lake since our West Central Bassmasters event several weeks ago. The fishing was awesome then but last night it was downright tough for us and several other teams. The water is a lot dirtier now and the weedgrowth is really exploding. There were still some nice fish brought in though. The winning weight was 12.46 lbs for 3 fish, 2nd was my dad and I with 9.80 lbs and 3rd was 8.72 lbs. The big fish was a 4.56 lb largemouth.

Like I said earlier the fishing was extremely tough for us. We decided to start on a spot we usually don't start on but has been very good to us the past few years. Unfortunately when we got there a boat was anchored crappie fishing directly on top of our waypoint. We fished around the general area for awhile but it wasn't happening. Then we moved to a deep spot that usually holds some really nice largemouth but we struck out again. Now I was starting to get a little worried. We then ran to a stretch of docks just to fill our limit. We ended up catching 3 pretty quickly on Bleeding bait tubes and Senkos but we only had 5 1/2 lbs at the most. After that we hit a few more areas that we like but couldn't get anything going. We noticed that the crappie fisherman was gone so we headed back to our starting spot and finally caught a nice smallmouth. I actually got my dropshot rig hung in a rock and when I finally got it to pop free I thought I was hung up again right away but it was a fish! I think it was down there looking at that violent shaking action and got triggered to bite. It seems like smallies do that a lot. We kept working the area with dropshots rigged with Lake Fork twitch worms and caught 2 more good smallies in the next 15 minutes and that was it for our fish catching. We hit some more areas but got nothing. We ended up catching only 3 nice fish all night in about a 20 minute period so getting 2nd place was a very pleasant surprise.

No comments: