Sunday, August 31, 2008

KLBL - Long Lake

Thursday night marked the end of another year of the Kandi Lakes Bass League. The final Thursday was originally going to be a championship but since we only had 8 boats fish the standings we decided to invite everyone to fish this final night. The team of the year, which was determined last week was allowed to choose the lake they wanted to fish, and the pick was Long. They had done well out there all year and most of the other teams really struggled so it was a good choice for them at the time. Unfortunately for them it didn't work out so well but a couple other teams did very well. My dad and I were one of those teams. We ended up winning the night with 3 fish weighing 16.34 lbs. That's right 16.34 lbs for 3 fish!!! That is a huge weight. There have been higher weights in the past, but as far as I know that was the 3rd heaviest weight ever weighed in league. 2nd place also had a huge bag with 3 fish weighing in at 14.50 lbs. To anchor our bag my dad caught the biggest fish of the year on Thursday nights with a bass weighing in at 6.44 lbs. I believe this is in the top 5 biggest fish ever weighed on a league night, and league has been run for 20 years if not more.



It was certainly an amazing night for us but it sure didn't start that way. We went the first 2 hours of the night without even a bite. I've talked about Long Lake on this blog in the past and we did the same things we usually do which is flipping reeds and fishing on the rocks. For the first 2 hours none of that panned out. I guess in the last hour we were in the right place at the right time and the fish just turned on. We ended up catching 7 fish in that hour by flipping tubes and jigs into the reeds. The first fish was way back inside and ended up weighing about 4 lbs. The next fish i caught weighed 5.68 lbs and was also way up inside the reeds. We then filled out our limit with a small fish as well as catching several more smaller fish. That 6.44 my dad caught came on the very last cast of the night when it was almost pitch dark outside. After catching that fish I knew we had done good but I didn't know just how good. In my mind we had two 5 pounders and a 3 pounder but when they hit the scales our jaws just dropped along with everyone elses. Long has been fished pretty hard the last few years and no one really thought that kind of weight was possible out there but I guess it was. Hopefully we can do it again next year.



After a mediocre year of leauge it was really nice to go out on a high note like that. We won the night and had big fish for the night as well as big fish for the year and caught one of the heaviest weights ever and one of the biggest bass ever. Theres not much more you can do than that. Hopefully we can do something similar down here on the Mississippi River during the state tournament.

Like I said in the previous post we don't have good internet access down here. I had planned on updating during practice and the tournament but that won't be possible. I will write up a full report of the tournament when I get back.

No comments: