Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Quick Update

Just had a few items to discuss since the last post.

After the last Big Bass Bonanza tournament on the Horseshoe Chain I posted that we finished in 19th place and probably dropped out of the top 10 in the standings. Those were unofficial. The official results are now in and we did indeed take 19th place but instead of dropping in the standings we actually moved up. Instead of being in 9th place we are now tied for 7th place with 1 event to go.

The final event on the BBB trail is on Mille Lacs. My dad and I just got back from fishing 2 days up there and while the fishing wasn't spectacular it was solid. We have our plan for now and hopefully we will be able to stay in the top 10. The tournament is still 2 weeks away though so a lot can change. We won't be able to get anymore practice in though because we will be heading down to Wabasha for the Minnesota State Bass Federation tournament on the Mississippi River all next week.

The highlight of the 2 days on Mille Lacs was actually an unexpected fish. Since the tournament only allows one smallmouth over 21 inches to be weighed in we fished exclusively for largemouths. I did run into one smallie though and it was the biggest smallie of my life. I caught it flipping a tube in the reeds. It went 20 3/4 inches. We put it on the scale and it bounced around between 5.98 - 6.00 lbs so I'm going to call it 6 lbs even. Man what a fish! I've never seen a smallmouth bass like that and it beat my previous best by over a pound.

No comments: